Before You Try Complain to The National Consumer Commission

Before You Complain to the NCC don’t forget to…

South Africa has a robust legal system in place (Like the Consumer Protection Act) to protect consumers from suppliers who act in bad faith or supply products and services that are lacking. One of the main participants is the National Consumer Commission (NCC).

‘Let’s be honest most of us have a rather vague idea of what the CPA actually says’

When consumers are unsatisfied they often wonder who they can complain to and how to go about taking advantage of provisions of the Consumer Protection Act. Let’s be honest most of us have a rather vague idea of what the CPA actually says but we know that it offers consumers protection from abuses by suppliers. What we do know is that we should complain if we don’t get the level of service or product that we were promised.

For example, a car salesman may tell a potential purchaser that a vehicle has never been in an accident only for the new buyer to soon find out that the vehicle was indeed in an accident. They are unsatisfied. They contact the seller who starts to duck and dive and will not do anything to rectify the situation. Now what?

Many of us may be tempted to take the matter to the National Consumer Commission since we have heard they might be able to help. Something that you have to keep in mind is that before you can do this you need to be able to show that (1) you have tried to engage with the supplier properly and (2) taken the additional step of trying to resolve the matter with them through an outside party such as an ombud or Alternative Dispute Resolution Agent (ADRA).


Alternative Dispute Resolution Agents are able to help you when you have a “dispute” with another party

In the example (above) of the consumer who bought a vehicle with incorrect information being supplied (which would have significantly changed their decision making (and possibly the price of the product) the consumer should approach the Motor Industry Ombudsman of South Africa prior to talking to the NCC.




Many consumer goods matters can be taken to the Consumer Goods and Services Ombud before the need to contact the NCC arises. Here is a list of their regional contacts: 

Province  Contact Person  Telephone Number  E-Mail
 Western Cape  Lillian Brown  0800 007 081
 Northern Cape  Theodore Smith  053 831 5562
 North West  Keemenao Mokoena  018 387 7946
 Mpumalanga  Nation Nkosi  013 766 4952
 Limpopo  Findo Motimele  015 293 8556 /7
 KwaZulu-Natal  Tshepiso Selepe  0800 333667
 Gauteng  Reuben Sedibane  011 355 8000 / 011 355 8648
 Free State  Timothy Radikeledi  051 400 9611
Eastern Cape  Charnette Ferreira  0860 007 255 /

Still Want To Complain To the NCC?

If after this you still need to contact the National Consumer Commission and want to complain then you can make use of the form below to let them know what your issues are. Just remember they will ask you to prove that you have tried to resolve the matter with the service provider and have tried an outside means to try resolve the matter before they get involved (and may then simply refer you on to another relevant party). Once completed the form can be sent to:

Download the NCC Complaint Form

National Consumer Commission Complaint Form 2018





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *